Monday, September 29, 2008

Descriptive Essay

My Fathers Job
I awake, groggily, to my father gently shaking me. Today, my father is taking me to the harbor to guide the ships in. I’ve always wanted to go with him to work and today is the day he finally said yes.

We walk slowly down the dimly-lit, foggy streets to the bay, my father’s lantern swinging back and forth, providing the only light. The crashing of the waves against the rocks gets louder and louder as we near the end of our walk. The thick fog blocks everything from sight, but I can still make out the dim, yellow glow of lights from the town.

My father raises his lantern and slowly swings it three times. I wait in silent anticipation to see what happens next. A ship cruises towards us, slicing through the thick fog like a knife, looking almost like a ghost ship. As it nears, I can hear the sloshing of the waves against the ship and faint cries of orders being shouted.

The ship slides in next to the dock and the men onboard start the strenuous task of unloading their heavy cargo. My father turns to me and asks, “ What do you think of my work?” I reply, “ It’s what I want to do when I get older.”

No comments: